Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sacred Dung



This little guy showed up outside my window yesterday.  Right by my back door.  Just waiting for me to see him.  The picture doesn't show it, but he was the most beautiful shade of metallic green.  He sat? there, perfectly calm and very poised  while I took his picture. If I lived in Egypt, he would be thought of as sacred, because he'd probably be a scareb beetle, which the Egyptologists translated as what has come into being, to transform, to become.   But I live in Texas,  so that would simply make him just a plain old  dung beetle.   NOT sacred.  Not even close.  Just a pest.  I do think he's higher up on the beetle scale than the ordinary june bug.  Not being an entomologist and not knowing one, I'm just going to believe that maybe, just maybe, he really was  some kind of sacred beetle. 

 After all, he did come and visit the very day Debi's boyfriend decided to take the pool table.....
And  I am coming into being.  My own being.

No comments:

Post a Comment